Donjoy Armor Knee Brace with Standard Hinge
All the thrills of playing sport disappear once knee pain from a ligament injury starts to flare up, making the whole thing an unhappy, painful experience. Designed to help you get back in the action, the Donjoy Armor Knee Brace with Standard Hinge features a special Four-Points-of-Leverage system that's clinically proven to combat knee pain and ligament deficiencies. Made with aircraft-grade aluminium for uncompromised strength during sporting activity.
Which Size Do I Need?
The Donjoy Armor Knee Brace is available in seven sizes and is suitable for men and women. To find the right size, please measure your thigh, knee and calf circumference as shown in the diagram below.
The thigh measurement is taken around the thigh 15 cm (6") above the centre of the knee cap. The knee centre measurement is taken directly around the centre of the knee cap. The calf measurement is taken around the calf 15cm (6") below the centre of the knee cap.
|Thigh Circ. (1)
|Knee Circ. (2)
|Calf Circ. (3)
|33 - 39cm
|30 - 33cm
|25 - 30cm
|39 - 47cm
|33 - 35cm
|30 - 35cm
|47 - 53cm
|35 - 38cm
|35 - 40cm
|53 - 60cm
|38 - 43cm
|40 - 45cm
|60 - 67cm
|43 - 48cm
|45 - 50cm
|67 - 75cm
|48 - 53cm
|50 - 55cm
|75 - 83cm
|53 - 58cm
|55 - 60cm
- If your thigh, knee and calf measurements don't match up, we recommend choosing your size based on your knee measurement
- If you do not have a flexible tape measure, use a piece of string to measure your knee and then measure the string with a ruler
- Before choosing your size, please take into consideration any joint swelling or atrophy that may have occurred
- For extra information and directions on how to size and apply your knee brace, read our sizing guide blog
What Conditions is the Donjoy Armor Knee Brace Suitable For?
If you suffer from moderate-to-severe instability in ACL or PCL areas of the knee, the brace is ideal for you. Most common indications include:
- ACL, PCL, ACL/PCL deficiencies
- ACL, PCL, ACL/PCL reconstructions
- Collateral ligament deficiencies
- Collateral ligament deficiencies with PCL involvement
- MCL and/or LCL sprains
Key Features and Benefits
- Restores knee joint stability by controlling extension and flexion
- Prevents movement of the shin in relation to the thigh
- Made of aircraft-grade aluminium for improved lightness
- Fully mouldable for a custom and personalised fit
- Short calf is designed for boot clearance
- Internally-mounted strap tabs for improved stability
- Supplied with one-year warranty on the frame and hinges
- Latex-free for reduced skin irritation
Is the Donjoy Armor Knee Brace Suitable for Sports?
Absolutely, one of the main purposes of the Donjoy Armor Knee Brace is to provide additional stability and support for your knee during sports. It is especially suitable for skiing, as well as basketball, football, tennis and various watersports. If you've suffered an ACL or PCL injury and are trying to get back to your favourite sport, this is the brace for you.
Can I Wear the Donjoy Armor Knee Brace on Either Leg?
To provide you with the perfect fit, the Donjoy Armor Knee Brace has been designed specifically for either the left or the right leg. You can select the side you need from the drop-down menu at the top of the page.
How Do I Know Which Donjoy Armor Knee Brace to Pick?
The Donjoy Armor Knee Brace is available in seven sizes and three designs that support three main areas listed below. Depending on your needs, you can select the preferred option from the drop-down menu at the top of the page.
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL)
- Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL)
- Combined Instability (ACL and PCL)
ACL and PCL are two of the most important ligaments of the knee
Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL)
An ACL injury is a tear or sprain of the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), one of the major ligaments in your knee. ACL injuries most commonly occur during sports that involve stops or sudden changes in direction, jumping and landing.
Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL)
Injuries to the posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) are much less common, and are often caused by hyperextension of the knee or a hard landing after a fall.
Combined Instability (ACL and PCL)
The Donjoy Armor Knee Brace is suitable for injuries of both ligaments, and even for combined instability, a much less common conditions where both ligaments have been disrupted.
How Can the Donjoy Armor Knee Brace Help with My ACL Injury?
Wearing the Donjoy ACL Brace can help prevent ACL injury, or help support your knee after an ACL tear or injury. The brace reduces the amount of time your anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) is in an at-risk position for tearing, stops hyperextension of the knee, and eliminates pain caused by ACL instability.
Which Sports Can I Play with the Donjoy Armor Knee Brace?
Designed to help you remain active during use, the Donjoy Armor Knee Brace is crafted for those who want to retain their active lifestyle following an injury. The brace can be used for the following sporting activities:
- Football or soccer
- Other sporting activity
What is the Four-Points-of-Leverage System?
The Four-Points-of-Leverage system is designed to control rotation instability by restricting movement of the anterior tibia. This has proven to significantly reduce the amount of strain placed on the ACL, allowing reconstructed athletes continue to play sports without re-injury.
The Four Points of Leverage are spread out across the brace for better balance
- Posterior calf keeps the tibia anchored
- Anterior thigh cuff keeps the femur anchored
- Lower thigh strap pushed the femur anteriorly
- Anterior tibia strap applies an active constant load to prevent tibia translation
Does This Donjoy Armor Knee Brace Come with the Fourcepoint System?
No, the Donjoy Armor Professional Knee Brace is not supplied with Fourcepoint hinges. If you require a Donjoy Armor with Fourcepoint hinges, please view the Donjoy Armor Professional Knee Brace with Fourcepoint.
Can the Donjoy Armor Knee Brace Get Wet?
Yes, the Donjoy Armor Knee Brace is suitable for watersports, and can be used in fresh or salt water. Following use in water activities, drain thoroughly and rinse with clean, fresh water, and then air dry the brace.
How Comfortable Is the Donjoy Armor Knee Brace?
Constructed from light aircraft grade aluminium, the Donjoy Armor Knee Brace is exceptionally strong and lightweight, enabling you to continue with a wide range of sporting activities without feeling encumbered. As this is the standard short calf version, the knee brace remains clear from the top of your boot, ensuring it doesn't become trapped. This makes the support more versatile, allowing it to be used without restriction across a number of sports.
How Do I Don the Donjoy Armor Knee Brace?
To apply the Donjoy Armor Knee Brace, please carefully follow these instructions:
- While sitting on the edge of a chair, step through the brace. Flexing the knee to 45 degrees, position the brace centring the hinge about 1" (2.54 cm) above the top of the kneecap and slightly past mid-line of the leg. Make sure the brace is not twisted on the leg.
- Secure the bottom calf strap first, then the top thigh strap. Keeping the knee bent at 45 degrees, push both condyles (hinges) toward the back of the leg.
- Maintaining the position of the hinges: for ACL version secure lower thigh strap; for PCL version secure upper calf strap; for CI version secure lower thigh strap then upper calf strap on the back of the leg.
- For ACL version, draw the hinges forward slightly before fastening the front tibial (shin) strap. For PCL version draw the hinges forward slightly before fastening the front thigh strap. For CI version draw the hinges forward slightly before fastening the front tibial (shin) and the front thigh strap.
- For ACL version next, secure the upper calf strap. Be careful not to pull this strap too tight and risk circulation problems.
- When all strapping is complete, the hinge should centre just above the top of the kneecap and slightly behind mid-line. To ensure that no slippage occurs during activity, it is recommended to do a few knee bends or walk for a few minutes.
If you need more assistance, please see the full video demonstration below.
How Do I Care for the Donjoy Armor Knee Brace?
To maintain good levels of hygiene, we recommend cleaning the Donjoy Armor Knee Brace regularly. The liners and condyle pads can be hand washed in cool water (30°C/86°F) using mild soap, and air dried. Do not heat dry liners or pads.
Is There a Manufacturer's Warranty?
This product is supplied with a one year manufacturer's warranty on the frame and hinges, as well as a six month warranty on soft goods.
- Frame: Aluminium
- Hinge: Aluminium and Steel
- Strap Tabs: Aluminium and Nylon
- Soft Goods: Nylon and EVA