M+D Anatomical Forearm Crutches (Pair)
Using crutches is a great way to mitigate strain on your knees after injury, knee-replacement surgery or a particularly bad bout or arthritic pain. M+D Anatomical Forearm Crutches (Pair) are superior to other crutches thanks to the creative team of experts responsible for their design, their unique mechanical and ergonomic look and their incredibly robust and reliable specification set.
Which Sizes and Colours Are Available?
M+D Forearm Crutches are supplied in one size to fit everyone from 4'11" - 6'8" (149 - 203cm), and are available in either Black or White. Select your desired colour using the drop-down menu above.
How Do M+D Forearm Crutches Work?
Improving on the archaic design of standard forearm and axillary crutches, M+D Crutches enhance user comfort by evenly distributing weight throughout the forearms and elbows, all but eliminating the hand, wrist and armpit pain caused by traditional crutches. Incorporating a lockable hinged arm cradle, flexible armbands and shock-absorbing feet, M+D Forearm Crutches are designed to remain comfortable throughout the day no matter how long they're in use.
Who Can Use M+D Forearm Crutches?
These crutches can be used by virtually anyone who would otherwise require access to traditional, regular crutches. Those who find regular crutches too painful or stressful on their wrists, hands and armpits will find these crutches much more comfortable.
M+D Crutches are specifically suited to people with conditions such as arthritis or Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (EDS), both of which make using standard crutches very uncomfortable. By distributing pressure across the forearm, pain is mitigated without inhibiting movement.
See the M+D Forearm Crutches in Action
Watch the video below for a short overview of the main features of the M+D Crutches.
Special Features of the M+D Adjustable Forearm Crutches
These crutches are packed full of innovative features that make them the most comfortable and convenient crutches on the market:
- Flexible Arm Bands: Easy to get in and out of, these arm bands will conform to the shape of the user's arm for a firm and secure fit
- Lockable Hinged Arm Support: Designed to spread the weight evenly along your arm, the arm cradle can actually be unlocked to allow for easy reaching and other arm movements throughout your day
- Rotating Handles: Simply touch the blue button on the end of the handle. It will swing down to allow you to use your keys, turn handles or shake hands
- Shock Absorbing Feet: These feet cushion the crutch's impact with the ground, providing minimal shock to your forearms with each step
Will These Crutches Fit Me?
The M+D Crutches are easily adjustable to fit most users, and suit anyone from 149 - 203cm (4'11" - 6'8") in height. This allows them to fit nearly anyone, and can be adjusted to fit multiple users.
Are M+D Crutches Lightweight?
Yes, they are. Weighing in at just 1.3kg each, this light weight allows them to be used by people of all ages and strengths, and will increase patient compliance by allowing them to be used for each and every errand throughout the day.
How Much More Comfortable Are M+D Crutches Than Standard Crutches?
M+D don't just claim to manufacture the most comfortable crutches on the market – they've actually done the research to back it up. In a survey of crutch users who purchased M+D Crutches to replace their regular set, M+D found a 373% reduction in reported pain to the hands and wrists, as well as a 124% reduction in pain to the forearms and elbows and a 67% reduction to shoulder pain.
These numbers speak for themselves, and demonstrate the power of M+D's innovative design!
How Do I Set Up My M+D Crutches?
M+D Crutches are supplied with everything you need to get started right away, and all you need to complete the setup process is a coin! Watch the video below for step-by-step instructions on how to set your crutches up and ensure they are properly fitted to you for maximum comfort:
How Do I Walk with M+D Adjustable Forearm Crutches?
Walking with M+D Crutches is simple and intuitive, but it may take a few minutes to get used to your new design. Watch the video below for a quick overview of all the functions included in M+D Crutches, as well as some useful tips to get you walking with comfortable support right away:
Practice Makes Perfect!
The M+D Crutches benefit you by taking pressure off of the stress points affected when using traditional crutches. But as you can see in the video above, this creates a new way of walking, which can take time and most importantly practice to get used to. Below are a few things to consider to make sure you get the most of M+D Crutches:
- Watch and Learn: the videos in this listing show a range of people using the M+D Crutches. Follow their example and you'll master them in no time
- Slow and Steady: A new way of walking will take time to get used to and that's ok! Take it slow and be patient to avoid any accidents
- Practice, Practice, Practice: Like with most things, you improve the more you use the crutches, the key to mastering the M+D Crutches is practice
- We're All Different: While some might be walking confidently on M+D Crutches within minutes, it could takes others days or weeks, so there's no need to panic if you don't get it right away!
Remember Your ABCs
M+D recommend simple three-step ABC method to make using their crutches easier:
- A Shape: Create an A shaped frame by keeping you elbows tight to your sides and ensure that the feet of your crutches are wide apart to create a stable base
- Bicep Curl: Keep your elbows tight to your side and move your crutch feet forward by doing a small Bicep curl movement
- Core Engaged: Tighten your Core muscles to keep your elbows in and your frame stable as you move with the M+D Crutches
For more information and a visual demonstration, please see the video below:
Are These Crutches Supplied As a Pair?
Yes, M+D Forearm Crutches are supplied as a pair: one for the left side, and one for the right . The right crutch features a single braille button located on top of the right crutch's handle release button, ensuring you will be able to tell the left and right crutches apart, even if you have to get up in the dark in the middle of the night.
How Do I Adjust My M+D Crutches?
As explained in the setup video above, all adjustments to these crutches can be made with the touch of a button, or with a coin or screwdriver. The adjustments are designed to be made with a coin, making it simple to make changes to your crutches – even when you're out and about!
How Do I Rotate the Handles?
Allowing you full freedom of movement with your hands, the handles of the M+D Crutches can be easily rotated away. To rotate the handles, simply push the button on the end of each handle.
At this point, the handle will become loose, and you can simply let go as the handle swivels away to leave your hand free.
How Do I Detach the Armrest?
Both armrests can swivel upwards by pressing the unlock button beside the rest. This will allow you to reach out and grab items that other forearm crutches would usually block. To re-lock, simply press in the button on the other side of the rest.
Are These Crutches Suitable for Hospital Use?
Yes, M+D Forearm Crutches are ideal for hospital use, and not only because they are easier and more comfortable to use. The armrests are antimicrobial and easy to wipe down, allowing these crutches to be safely disinfected in between use by multiple patients.
Is There Anyone Who Can't Use the M+D Forearm Crutches?
While the M+D Crutches could help a huge amount of people, there are some people who they may not be suitable for, even if they are under the weight limit of 136kg (300lb) and within the recommended height range of 4'11" - 6'8" (149 - 203cm). The M+D Forearm Crutches might not be for you if any of the following apply:
- You have poor balance AND you need crutches for non-weight bearing use
- Due to poor upper body strength you can't use standard crutches
- Your ability to stay upright is severely compromised enough that the crutches will be too difficult to use
For some more information about who can benefit from the M+D Crutches and more visual demonstrations of the crutches being used, please see the video below:
- Suitable user height: 149 - 203cm (4'11" - 6'"8)
- Maximum user weight: 300lb (136kg)
- Weight of each crutch: 1.3kg (2.9lb)
- Shipping box dimensions: 84 x 25 x 15cm (33 x 10 x 6")
- Weight when shipped: 9lb (4kg)